The Castle of Ioannina is the city’s reference point. The present form due to Ali Pasha, who rebuilt the castle in 1815 nearly from scratch.
Access to the castle until 1913, was only possible if the internal lowered the connecting staircase that connected the outside world with its castle and that’s because the lake and the water moat touching the walls.
From the main gate, where the Turks hanged the martyr George, patron of Ioannina, we enter the castle. The portal is at the end of the street Averof.
Above the main gate discern the coat of arms of Ali Pasha. On the right side, rises above the wall the tower built during the Turkish occupation of the “Venetian” clock of the castle. The clock that disabling the Italians in 1917 and recently replaced by Ioannina.
The narrow streets lead us to the hill to the mosque of Aslan Pasha in northern citadel. Built in 1618 by the homonymous Pasha to commemorate the crash of the revolution of Dionysios Philosopher (1611) .Despozei in perhaps the most beautiful part of town overlooking the lake, the island and the city itself. In the place that occupies today the mosque, it was the church of St. John the precursor destroyed in 1611. Today the site serves as the Municipal Museum. Right and left, as it begins the uphill road, we find many buildings of Turkish rule.
On the right there are the Turkish baths (hamam), built with unique architecture (cross-shaped, with vaulted dome). They included changing rooms, bath rooms, and retreat. The baths were communication space, especially for women, for which planned and special preparation bath.
On the left our known Soufari Saray. It was storey building with a stone exterior staircase and wooden roof. This is the camp of Ali Pasha, where trained and protagonists of ’21 (Od. Androutsos Karaiskaki M. Botsaris Ath. Diakos, etc.).
The Turkish library built in the early 19th century. Includes room with square hallway and two rooms on the edges. It is exquisite art the vaulted roofs, survives intact, not only rescued books or manuscripts.
Leaving the north acropolis, we go inside the fortress, the Kale. Before we get to this place, we find the tree where martyred leader klephts Katsandonis, 1807.
The portal is kept in very good condition and is commanding. Above the arch of the two lions were embossed with the word “Aslan” stolen.
At the far left, rises the Fethiye Mosque which was built in 1618 in place of the Christian church of the Archangel Michael.Next to the mosque, stands the marble base of the family tomb of Ali Pasha. It only buried the headless body and his wife Emine.
His head was buried in Istanbul together with his children, Mukhtar, Veli, and Mehmet Salih, executed by order of the sultan. The nice iron railing stole possession. In the place where the Byzantine museum operates since 1995, was the Saray Ali Pasha, which was built in 1789 and was an administrative center, which burnt down in 1870.
Right from the Byzantine museum are the remains of the harem of Ali Pasha. Tower Voimoundos (bastion) is one of the few medieval buildings that survived. It bears the name of Norman conqueror of Ioannina (1082 AD). During the Turkish housed financial services in South of Ioannina Castle Citadel near the tower Voimoundos and in contact with the church of St. Anargyroi preserved historical gunpowder warehouses of Ali Pasha.